Monday, May 11, 2020

Book Review: Harsh Line (Cataclysm, Book 1) by Ann Gimpel ~ #UF @AnnGimpel


Book Details:

Print Length: 240 pages
Publisher: Ann Gimpel Books, LLC
Publication Date: April 13, 2020
ASIN: B083LFLPW6

About the Book:

My very existence is under attack. I’ve kept a low profile, told myself the craziness sweeping the world would pass me by. Yeah, it was wishful thinking, actually an outright lie, but it’s kept me sane.

I’ve been hiding out forever in one guise or another. Currently, I run a nightclub. Ascent is an “ask me no questions, and I’ll tell you no lies” haven. For everybody. I’m a Vampire. Far be it from me to judge.

My closest ally is a shapeshifting dire wolf. I adopted him when he was a scrawny puppy, but I’m getting ahead of my tale.

The fragile détente between supernaturals and humans has crashed and burned. I can’t avoid the truth any longer. Lucky for me, mortals don’t know exactly what I am. When I moved to Seattle, some vampiric sixth sense urged me to play my cards close to my vest, but I’m done burying my secrets.

And my power.

It’s past time for supernaturals to get over their stupid infighting. Meh. So what if Witches hate Druids? Or Fae never deal with Sorcerers? We have to pull together, or we’ll have no chance at all.

Not that it’s likely, but if any mortals see the light and sign up for our side, we’d damn well better welcome them.

I’m Ariana Hawke. No more skulking in the shadows for me.

My Review:

Harsh Line is the first book in Ann Gimpel's Cataclysm series. Ariana Hawke is an ancient vampire who has managed to blend into a human world that would like nothing more than to see all supernatural creatures be eradicated. She runs Ascent, a nightclub that caters to everyone and employs the very creatures the humans who patronize the club want put to their eternal deaths. Ariana's sidekick is Conan, a mysterious dire wolf she rescued as a pup and nurtured, contrary to a vampire's nature. Ariana and Conan unlikely companions who have ever other's backs - Always! But they both harbor secrets; secrets that may cause their ultimate demise.

Harsh Line is a wonderful book that has author, Ann Gimpel, creating vampires on the side of good,when her vampires are generally on the opposing side. I loved Ariana and Conan's characters. An unlikely pair, their bond is strong and the trust they have for one another runs deep. Her ability to run a club that employs other supernatural creatures that tend avoid vampires at all cost prove her leadership ability. Ariana is not a typical vampire, a fact a newly arrived vampire, Nickolas, discovers after meeting her.

All of the characters are strong and multi-dimensional. Ariana's character is strong but we learn a lot about her past and what makes her tick. We don't get a lot out of Conan's past at the beginning, however, as the book progresses, he character unwillingly opens up and we find out more about him. The world building creates a sense of belonging at Ascend. I felt like I was in the story, hearing the words, visualizing the scenes, feeling the emotions.

I look forward to the next book.

I requested and was provided a copy of this book to read. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment